A few WordPress clients hosted through 123-reg have received alarming emails concerning a security issue with WordPress, stating that they’ve been made aware of a security issue facing websites using WordPress.
WordPress report “There are currently no known issues with WordPress”
We know that if there ever is a known issue, WordPress are going to be on top of it faster than a speedy fast thing so the first place we look when receiving news is the WordPress forum as well as do a quick Google.
Because WordPress is so popular it is likely to be an easy target if a server is hacked into – so it is always sensible to have strong security in place as standard.
So rather than panic at the potential, keep calm and check that you have some simple WordPress security in place and that you keep things up-to-date:
- Upgrade your WordPress, especially if you are using a very old version – the updates are made to counter known issues, especially security.
- Do not have admin as an Administrator level username
- Install some WordPress security plugins
- Keep your plugins and themes updated
- And of course have your backups in place!
These are the main recaps from previous blog posts on security and we’ll review the latest offerings and suggestions regularly. The following outline the above in more detail: